Quality of Life
Barton County supports a variety of initiatives across the county and invites you to be a part of broader conversations and to work in a joint effort for quality of life. Communities act both independently and collectively through a variety of platforms to address a variety of issues. Cities, Chambers of Commerce, and the Convention and Visitors Bureau all spearhead various events that are sure to keep busy and connected.
Barton County offers a strong sense of community with small-town living. Our communities boast picturesque surroundings and a family-oriented quality of life. There are 9 incorporated cities in Barton County, Kansas.
There are also four unincorporated communities; Dundee, Heizer, Odin, and Redwing.
Barton County has a strong commitment to education. Students get noticed and receive more focused learning because our educational institutions have smaller class sizes.
- Barton Community College
- Central Kansas Christian Academy (Great Bend Private Elementary & Secondary)
- Great Bend & Central Kansas Home Educators (Homeschool Network)
- Holy Family School (Great Bend Private Elementary)
- St. Joseph Catholic School (Ellinwood Private Elementary & Secondary)
- Seventh-day Adventist School (Great Bend Private Elementary)
- USD 112 – Central Plains (Claflin)
- USD 355 – Ellinwood
- USD 403 – Otis/Bison
- USD 428 – Great Bend
- USD 431 – Hoisington