Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

Barton County



Ajax Loading Image


The Engineering Department works to improve and maintain the County roadway system to provide safe travel for the public. We apply for grants from the State and Federal governments that can cover a large part of the costs for new bridge construction and safety improvements such as signing, pavement markings, and intersection improvements.  The department provides inspection services on road and bridge construction projects, conducts traffic and drainage studies, and issues utility permits for installations within the County right of way.  Our cartographer updates maps and information for appraisals and deeds, keeps the NextGen 911 information up to date for emergency responders, and develops various maps containing information for roads, jurisdictional boundaries, bike routes, scenic routes, and other items of interest.  The Engineering office also maintains road records, section corner reports, and assists surveyors needing information.  The County Engineer serves as the Floodplain Manager and assists homeowners, landowners, and developers in identifying flood zones and ensuring that new construction meets federal flood zone requirements.


Redwing Intersection Improvement Project

Improvements are planned for the intersection of NE 60 Avenue at K-4 highway.  KDOT awarded a Cost Share Program project to Barton County that will cover 75% of the construction costs, with Barton County picking up the remaining 25% of the costs plus the cost of right of way acquisition, utility relocations, design, and inspection.  The project is tentatively scheduled to go out for construction bids in early 2021, and construction may begin in the spring.  The existing concrete drainage box that sits just to the north of K-4 under NE 60 Avenue will be removed, and a new box will be constructed about 70’ further to the north, allowing for the construction of new pavement that will include improved turning radii at K-4 that will allow trucks to make safer turns.


North Washington Avenue at North 30 Road Intersection Improvements Project

New and improved traffic safety features will be added as a part of this project, which is tentatively scheduled to go out for bids in the summer of 2021.  The planned improvements will include the installation of overhead mast arms with warning lights, advance signing that will actively monitor approaching traffic on each leg of the intersection, and improvements to existing signing and pavement markings.


NW 50 Road Box Bridge Extension Project

The existing concrete box bridge just east of NW 10 Avenue will be widened and the shoulders will be flattened to eliminate the existing drop-off at the edges of the road.  The project will provide recoverable slopes in the event a vehicle leaves the road, and there will no longer be a need for guardrail along the road.  This project is part of the project at North Washington Avenue/North 30 Road and is tentatively scheduled to go out for bids in the summer of 2021.